From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Workshop: Political Slogans in a Changing Arab World
The Orient-Institut in Beirut is organizing a workshop on political slogans and the question of how political and social change is reflected in the recent development of political slogans in Egypt and the Arab world.
The workshop observes the transformation of political communication and is calling for papers that deal with written, shouted, sung and digitally spread slogans in the way in which they appear in social media, street art and other artistic forms of political protest. It especially welcomes contributions that apply methods from linguistics and discourse analysis as well as empirically grounded social research. The workshop will take place in Cairo in April 2013. The exact date is yet to be fixed. Papers in Arabic and English are welcome.
All interested researchers are invited to send an abstract before February 28, 2013 via e-mail to Dr. Thomas Scheffler: email@example.com.
For more information please contact Prof. Dr. Nader Srage: firstname.lastname@example.org.
See also his current research project: The political slogan in a changing Arabic world: a linguistic approach.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The rise of Arab Nationalism and invention of the handheld transistor radio proved a fatal combination."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Vote Yes on MESA Bylaw Amendment: Roundtable by Elyse Semerdjian, John Chalcraft, and Asli Bali
- Media on Media Roundup (February 21)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (February 21)
- تصريحات دونالد ترامب حول الصراع في فلسطين
- خمس قصص قصيرة للكاتب الإسباني خوان خوسية مياس
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 19 فبراير
- Extensive Syria Media Roundup (Jan 8 - Feb 19, 2017)
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 20)
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 13-19)
- Power, Sect, and State in Syria
- Maghreb Media Roundup (February 19)
- Perspectives on the Immigration Ban: A Town Hall with GMU Faculty
- Palestine Media Roundup (18 February)
- اليأس كسلاح للاستبداد
- Remembering Husayn Muruwwah, the ‘Red Mujtahid’
- Six Years: Roundtable on Arab Uprisings
- The ‘Arab Spring’ Never Happened (in English)
- Why Space Matters in the Arab Uprisings (and Beyond)
- A Preface to A Critique of Instant Analysis and Scholarship on the Arab Uprisings