From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Workshop: Political Slogans in a Changing Arab World
The Orient-Institut in Beirut is organizing a workshop on political slogans and the question of how political and social change is reflected in the recent development of political slogans in Egypt and the Arab world.
The workshop observes the transformation of political communication and is calling for papers that deal with written, shouted, sung and digitally spread slogans in the way in which they appear in social media, street art and other artistic forms of political protest. It especially welcomes contributions that apply methods from linguistics and discourse analysis as well as empirically grounded social research. The workshop will take place in Cairo in April 2013. The exact date is yet to be fixed. Papers in Arabic and English are welcome.
All interested researchers are invited to send an abstract before February 28, 2013 via e-mail to Dr. Thomas Scheffler: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information please contact Prof. Dr. Nader Srage: email@example.com.
See also his current research project: The political slogan in a changing Arabic world: a linguistic approach.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The colonization of expressions of everyday, ordinary life, like outlawed gathering, demolition of gathering sites and raids on homes, is testimony to the fear of memory."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Jerusalem: A City for All?
- مجلة حميد العقابي الافتراضية
- Foucault, the Iranian Revolution, and the Politics of Collective Action
- مختارات من قصص وشعر حميد العقابي
- Political Economy Project Book Prize Competition: Call For Books Published in 2016
- قصائد للشاعر امبرتو سابا، المجلد الثاني
- Foucault’s Folly: Iran, Political Spirituality, and Counter-Conduct
- مَن يطهِّر مَن عرقيًا؟: استيلاء إسرائيل على الرواية الفلسطينية
- Media on Media Roundup (April 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (April 19)
- Foucault: Against the Ideology of Enlightenment
- Bassam Haddad and Brian Edwards Discuss Middle East Studies and Public Scholarship
- كتب- علي عبد الأمير: رقصة الفستان الأحمر الأخيرة
- Life and Death in Palestine - A STATUS/الوضع Interview with Ben Ehrenreich
- The Refugee Crisis in Greece- A STATUS/الوضع Interview with Georgia Arapidou
- JinJin Fear with Zizi: An Interview with the Rocca Family
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 10-16)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 18)
- Rescuing the Revolution from Its Outcome
- On Basel al-Araj’s Assassination: End Security Coordination Between the Palestinian Authority and Israel