From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Ninth Nordic Conference on Middle Eastern Studies: Everyday Life in the Middle East
19-21 September 2013
Focusing on the multi-faceted nature of everyday life, the conference will address the diverse practices, events and attitudes that shape and are shaped by daily experiences of individuals and groups in the region. Questions related to the relationship between everyday life and political, social, religious and cultural institutions, the connections between diasporic communities and their homeland cultures and institutions, and the links between tradition and social change are significantly relevant to the conference. Paper submissions from various disciplinary, interdisciplinary and methodological approaches are encouraged.
The conference is organised by The Nordic Society for Middle Eastern Studies (NSM). NSM organises a Nordic and international conference every three years. This annual conference is open to all scholars and students who specialise in Middle Eastern Studies. The conference is also open to journalists, policy makers, activists, diplomats and others who have interests in the Middle East.
The conference is organised in cooperation with the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Lund University.
Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
- Senior Fellow James M. Dorsey (S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies and author of the Turbulent World of Middle East Soccer Blog)
- Professor Jean-Pierre Filiu (Middle East Studies, Science Po, Paris)
- Assistant Professor Line Khatib (American University of Sharjah) and Senior Research Fellow (Inter-University Consortium for Arab and Middle Eastern Studies, McGill University)
- Professor Farhad Khosrokhavar (EHESS-CNRS, Paris)
- Film Director Nabil Maleh (Damascus/Dubai)
- Associate Professor Christa Salamandra (City University of New York)
- Deadline for submission of abstracts is 17 March 2013.
- Acceptances and rejections will be notified by April 8, 2013.
- Deadline for registration and payment: July 29, 2013.
To submit abstracts and suggestions for pre-organized panels, email Christina Rothman.
To register, click here.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“How can critical Jewish voices dismantle the opposition's claims while simultaneously working to dismantle the very paradigm that grants them the privilege to do so? “click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- New Texts Out Now: Maha Abdelrahman, Egypt's Long Revolution: Protest Movements and Uprisings
- Le Père Lebret, chroniqueur de l’Etat libanais en construction
- Expropriation, Lawlessness, and Resistance in Yirca's Olive Groves: An Interview with Olcay Bingol and Deniz Bayram
- لم يكن في خطتنا أن ننتصر
- Faculty Support Student-Workers of UAW 2865 in Solidarity with Palestinian Students and Workers
- Syria Media Roundup (November 25)
- Turkey Media Roundup (November 25)
- Moving in the Maze with Cairene Artist Qarm Qart
- Larissa Sansour
- Event at GMU: The Double Execution of Saddam Hussein: Diaspora, Media, and Images, with Zainab Saleh
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 17-23)
- A French Atlas of the Gulf States
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 24)
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (23 November)
- Arab Jewish Identity and the Art of Hospitality: A Conversation with Michael Rakowitz
- Visit Our Jadaliyya/ASI/GMU Booths at MESA! #83 and #84
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 21)
- Give Palestinian Children a Voice
- On the Margins Roundup (November)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 19)