From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Ninth Nordic Conference on Middle Eastern Studies: Everyday Life in the Middle East
19-21 September 2013
Focusing on the multi-faceted nature of everyday life, the conference will address the diverse practices, events and attitudes that shape and are shaped by daily experiences of individuals and groups in the region. Questions related to the relationship between everyday life and political, social, religious and cultural institutions, the connections between diasporic communities and their homeland cultures and institutions, and the links between tradition and social change are significantly relevant to the conference. Paper submissions from various disciplinary, interdisciplinary and methodological approaches are encouraged.
The conference is organised by The Nordic Society for Middle Eastern Studies (NSM). NSM organises a Nordic and international conference every three years. This annual conference is open to all scholars and students who specialise in Middle Eastern Studies. The conference is also open to journalists, policy makers, activists, diplomats and others who have interests in the Middle East.
The conference is organised in cooperation with the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Lund University.
Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
- Senior Fellow James M. Dorsey (S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies and author of the Turbulent World of Middle East Soccer Blog)
- Professor Jean-Pierre Filiu (Middle East Studies, Science Po, Paris)
- Assistant Professor Line Khatib (American University of Sharjah) and Senior Research Fellow (Inter-University Consortium for Arab and Middle Eastern Studies, McGill University)
- Professor Farhad Khosrokhavar (EHESS-CNRS, Paris)
- Film Director Nabil Maleh (Damascus/Dubai)
- Associate Professor Christa Salamandra (City University of New York)
- Deadline for submission of abstracts is 17 March 2013.
- Acceptances and rejections will be notified by April 8, 2013.
- Deadline for registration and payment: July 29, 2013.
To submit abstracts and suggestions for pre-organized panels, email Christina Rothman.
To register, click here.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (January 27)
- Asli Bali on Iranian-US Nuclear Negotiations and What Republican Invite to Netanyahu Means
- Turkey Media Roundup (January 27)
- Palestinian Authority Security Cooperation and the Internationalization of Occupation: The Case of Ahmad Sa’adat
- Egypt Media Roundup (January 26)
- Composer Maurice Louca on Salute the Parrot
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (January 19-25)
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (November-December 2014)
- STATUS/الوضع: Episode -3
- January Culture Bouquet
- Zajal on Arak
- Jabra Ibrahim Jabra: Ramparts
- Jabra Ibrahim Jabra: Jerusalem, Time Embodied
- ‘A Distinctly French Universalism’: Translating Laïcité after Charlie
- الإخوان من الجماعة إلى الفرقة
- تقييم حالة الإعلام الخاص فى مصر
- Mubarakism on Steroids: Jadaliyya Co-Editor Hesham Sallam Interviewed on the Anniversary of the Revolution
- The Revolutionary Practice of Endurance
- Is Cairene Graffiti Losing Momentum?
- “Old People Are Not Revolutionaries!” Labor Struggles Between Precarity and Istiqrar in a Factory Occupation in Egypt