From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Ninth Nordic Conference on Middle Eastern Studies: Everyday Life in the Middle East
19-21 September 2013
Focusing on the multi-faceted nature of everyday life, the conference will address the diverse practices, events and attitudes that shape and are shaped by daily experiences of individuals and groups in the region. Questions related to the relationship between everyday life and political, social, religious and cultural institutions, the connections between diasporic communities and their homeland cultures and institutions, and the links between tradition and social change are significantly relevant to the conference. Paper submissions from various disciplinary, interdisciplinary and methodological approaches are encouraged.
The conference is organised by The Nordic Society for Middle Eastern Studies (NSM). NSM organises a Nordic and international conference every three years. This annual conference is open to all scholars and students who specialise in Middle Eastern Studies. The conference is also open to journalists, policy makers, activists, diplomats and others who have interests in the Middle East.
The conference is organised in cooperation with the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Lund University.
Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
- Senior Fellow James M. Dorsey (S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies and author of the Turbulent World of Middle East Soccer Blog)
- Professor Jean-Pierre Filiu (Middle East Studies, Science Po, Paris)
- Assistant Professor Line Khatib (American University of Sharjah) and Senior Research Fellow (Inter-University Consortium for Arab and Middle Eastern Studies, McGill University)
- Professor Farhad Khosrokhavar (EHESS-CNRS, Paris)
- Film Director Nabil Maleh (Damascus/Dubai)
- Associate Professor Christa Salamandra (City University of New York)
- Deadline for submission of abstracts is 17 March 2013.
- Acceptances and rejections will be notified by April 8, 2013.
- Deadline for registration and payment: July 29, 2013.
To submit abstracts and suggestions for pre-organized panels, email Christina Rothman.
To register, click here.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- مضيق المتعة
- Egypt Two Years after the Coup
- Mahienour Al-Masry: An Icon of the Revolution in Prison
- Egypt under the New July Republic
- In Response to Mubarak
- More than Money on their Minds: The Generals and the Economy in Egypt Revisited
- The Saudi Leaks and Egypt: A Recap
- New Texts Out Now: Marc Morjé Howard and Meir R. Walters, “Mass Mobilization and the Democracy Bias”
- New Texts Out Now: Reem Abou-El-Fadl, Revolutionary Egypt: Connecting Domestic and International Struggles
- Photography Media Roundup (July 2)
- Meydan Politics: Taksim in Flux after Gezi
- DARS Media Roundup (June 2015)
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Mehdi Khorrami, Literary Subterfuge and Contemporary Persian Fiction: Who Writes Iran?
- Alif: Aynama-Rtama
- Turkey Media Roundup (June 30)
- Syria Media Roundup (June 30)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (June 30)
- The Light Bulb and the Oak Tree: Politics of Space Meets the Ballot Box
- خلايا حيّة
- The Right to Democratic Dissent: A View from Greece