From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
In the following episode from AJE's The Stream, Palestine solidarity activists from various University of California (UC) campuses discuss a three-pronged attack on free speech and campus organizing throughout the UC system:
- A "Jewish Student Campus Climate Report" co-authored by Anti-Defamation League's Richard Barton, which cherry-picked interviews to create the perception that Jewish students largely agreed that Palestine solidarity advocacy was anti-Semitic and should be responded to by limiting who can be invited to speak on campus, enforcing balance at political events, banning hate speech, and defining anti-Semitism in ways that would include criticism of Israel.
- HR-35, a California Assembly bill that doubles down on the climate report, calling terms like "apartheid" examples of campus anti-Semitism, and endorsing censorship of student advocates for Palestinian rights. Civil rights groups have recently discovered that HR 35 was largely supported by UC President Mark Yudof.
- A series of lawsuits and Department of Education investigations that allege a hostile environment on campus for Jewish students stemming from Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) activity, and claims that the University of California is discriminatory against Jewish students as long as it fails to curtail that SJP activity.
Palestine solidarity and free speech student activists on The Stream's episode on this issue insist that no evidence has been presented to justify the reports and investigations. They also highlight the ways in which the claim of anti-Semitism is being used to attack and stifle legitimate speech which has been part of the growing boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) movement at the UC system. Furthermore, they point out that the proposals would turn pro-Palestinian students into second class citizens, subject to monitoring and censorship not applied to other topics or student groups.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
هاهي سبع سنوات قد مرّت بسرعة منذ ذلك الصباح، سنوات كانت حنّة ستتعجّب منها لو كانت على قيد الحياة إذ فاقت كل ما سبقها وفاقت حتى الشهور السبعة الأخيرة من حياتها بعد الحرب الأخيرة.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Beyond Blame: Troubling the Semiotic Ideology of Muslim Passion
- New Texts Out Now: Olfa Lamloum and Mohamed Ben Zina, Jeunes de Douar Hicher et d’Ettadhamen. Une enquête sociologique
- Letter of Support by Colleagues and Personal Friends of Emad Shahin
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (27 May)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 26)
- Turkey Media Roundup (May 26)
- Syria Media Roundup (May 25)
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 25)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 18-24)
- فصل من رواية أسد البصرة
- Sharjah Biennial 12: Uriel Barthelemi's Souls' Landscapes
- Not Much Special in UN Middle East Missions
- إعادة ابتكار فلسطين: السينما من أجل السلام في جنين
- The Armenian Genocide and the Politics of Knowledge
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (March-April 2015)
- Naema’s Office is Bleeding
- Foreign Policies Media Roundup (April-May 2015)
- We Are All Uncomfortable: On Academic Boycott & What Is Productive
- New Texts Out Now: Bedross Der Matossian, Shattered Dreams of Revolution: From Liberty to Violence in the Late Ottoman Empire
- Memory and Forgetfulness in A Settler Colony