From the Editors
Settler Colonialism: Then and Now
A Lecture by Mahmood Mamdani
This lecture was delivered on 6 December 6 2012 at Princeton University for the 10th Annual Edward W. Said '57 Memorial Lecture.
Mahmood Mamdani is an academic, author, and political commentator. He is the author of, among other books, Citizen and Subject: Contemporary Africa and the Legacy of Late Colonialism (1996), When Victims Become Killers: Colonialism, Nativism, and the Genocide in Rwanda (2002), Saviors and Survivors: Darfur, Politics, and the War on Terror (2010), and, most recently, Define and Rule: Native as Political Identity (2012). His works explore the intersection between politics and culture, the history of colonialism since 1452, the history of civil war and genocide in Africa, the Cold War and the War on Terror, and the history and theory of human rights.
Mamdani is presently the Herbert Lehman Professor of Government at Columbia University in New York, and also Professor and Director of the Makerere Institute of Social Research at Makerere University, in Kampala, Uganda, and. He grew up in Uganda and acquired his B.A from the University of Pittsburgh, before going on to attain his Masters degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy in 1969 and his PhD from Harvard University in 1974.
This event was sponsored by the Edward W. Said '57 Memorial Lecture Fund, the Princeton Committee on Palestine, the Department of English, and the Program in African Studies.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
هاهي سبع سنوات قد مرّت بسرعة منذ ذلك الصباح، سنوات كانت حنّة ستتعجّب منها لو كانت على قيد الحياة إذ فاقت كل ما سبقها وفاقت حتى الشهور السبعة الأخيرة من حياتها بعد الحرب الأخيرة.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam al-Khawaja
- Beard Phobia
- نفس الكتاب".. جرحٌ تعجز الكتابة عن لَأْمِه"
- On the Margins Roundup (August)
- Prominent Human Rights Lawyer Ahmed Seif al-Islam Dies
- An Open Letter
- New Texts Out Now: Erin Runions, The Babylon Complex: Theopolitical Fantasies of War, Sex, and Sovereignty
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 26)
- الخطر السياسي القادم ما بعد العدوان على غزة
- ملف من الأرشيف: محمد شكري
- Syria Media Roundup (August 15)
- Antisemitism and Salaita
- Israel's "Operation Status Quo": A Preliminary Assessment
- Who Are the Insurgents and Counterinsurgents?
- Support for Steven Salaita and the UIUC Boycott Continues to Grow
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 18-24)
- لا تقصص رؤياك
- Badr Shakir Al-Sayyab: A Profile from the Archives
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 August)
- منام الطفل السنجاريّ
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: Overheard guards saying they are going to deport me. They keep saying I am not a citizen, but won't show me any docume…
yesterday at 8:17 PM
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: I'm denied entry. I'm starting a water-only hunger strike. I won't voluntarily leave. My only demand is to be let into…
yesterday at 8:16 PM
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: I'm being detained in airport. Telling me I don't have Bahraini citizenship. I'm asking for proof.
yesterday at 8:16 PM
Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam Alkhawaja http://t.co/k5VUAS3Mlr
yesterday at 7:48 PM
Open Letter on Gaza and BDS from the Middle East Caucus of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies http://t.co/OMwnsGTx7u
yesterday at 12:24 PM