From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Last week, Qatar-based media giant Al Jazeera purchased Al Gore’s failing Current TV for five hundred million dollars. After years of being snubbed by American cable networks, is Al Jazeera’s expansion purely a business endeavor? This week, Malihe Razazzan spoke with Jadaliyya's Media and Reporting Co-Editor and adjunct professor at Georgetown University Adel Iskandar about the motives behind Al Jazeera's buy-out, the station's background and influence, its funding from the emirate of Qatar, and prospects in the United States. Iskandar is the co-author of first book published about the network entitled Al-Jazeera: The Story of the Network that is Rattling Governments and Redefining Modern Journalism (Basic, 2003).
A sample of US media reactions to the acquisition of Current TV by Al Jazeera
Video from: Al Jazeera Buys US channel Current TV
Host of CNN's Reliable Sources Howard Kurtz interviews former Al Jazeera English anchor David Marash about Al Jazeera's expansion to the US cable market.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Through the language of “Muslim First, Arab Second,” these young adults challenge racism, militarism, and white middle-class assimilation and the limitations of middle-class Arab cultural politics and their Muslim communities.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- فهد سوريا - الجزء الأول
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 26 فبراير
- The Precarity of Youth: Entrepreneurship is not the Solution
- Palestine Media Roundup (February 24)
- الغرب والسوريون: مبيعات الأسلحة الأمريكية والأوروبية للشرق الأوسط 2011- 2014
- Vote Yes on MESA Bylaw Amendment: Roundtable by Elyse Semerdjian, John Chalcraft, and Asli Bali
- Media on Media Roundup (February 21)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (February 21)
- دونالد ترامب والصراع في فلسطين
- خمس قصص قصيرة للكاتب الإسباني خوان خوسية مياس
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 19 فبراير
- Extensive Syria Media Roundup (Jan 8 - Feb 19, 2017)
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 20)
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 13-19)
- Power, Sect, and State in Syria
- Maghreb Media Roundup (February 19)
- وطنُ الغريب جبينُهُ
- Perspectives on the Immigration Ban: A Town Hall with GMU Faculty