From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Last week, Qatar-based media giant Al Jazeera purchased Al Gore’s failing Current TV for five hundred million dollars. After years of being snubbed by American cable networks, is Al Jazeera’s expansion purely a business endeavor? This week, Malihe Razazzan spoke with Jadaliyya's Media and Reporting Co-Editor and adjunct professor at Georgetown University Adel Iskandar about the motives behind Al Jazeera's buy-out, the station's background and influence, its funding from the emirate of Qatar, and prospects in the United States. Iskandar is the co-author of first book published about the network entitled Al-Jazeera: The Story of the Network that is Rattling Governments and Redefining Modern Journalism (Basic, 2003).
A sample of US media reactions to the acquisition of Current TV by Al Jazeera
Video from: Al Jazeera Buys US channel Current TV
Host of CNN's Reliable Sources Howard Kurtz interviews former Al Jazeera English anchor David Marash about Al Jazeera's expansion to the US cable market.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
- Djerba, Tunisia: Garbage Disposal, the Environmental Crisis, and the Awakening of Ecoconsciousness
- إعادة ابتكار فلسطين: السينما من أجل السلام في جنين
- الجزائر تلقي الحجاب
- Focus sur le Mali, troisième partie: Une périlleuse démonstration de force de l'ancienne puissance coloniale
- Arrested Bedoon Activist Goes on Hunger Strike
"With a network of over four and a half million researchers, a quarter of the world’s academics... Academia.edu aims to provide a platform for scholars to publish their research without having to become tangled in the prolonged peer review process of academic and scientific journals."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.3 is Live! Celebrating Our One-Year Anniversary
- يكفيني أن ألمس ورقة خضراء حتى أرى
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 23)
- عصفورية إلى الأبد
- Affirming the Rights of Students to Organize, Protest, and Resist (City University of New York)
- Terror Everywhere, Humanity Nowhere
- الجلبي، عبد الرزاق عبد الواحد: سجال ما بعد الديكتاتور
- القصائدُ قرودٌ؛ هكذا كلّ واقعٍ في عين أمّه غزال
- Palestine Media Roundup (November 12 - 18)
- Turkey Could Cut Off the Islamic State’s Supply Lines. So Why Doesn’t It?
- ASI At MESA! Visit Us at Booths 20-21 and Join our Political Economy Project Reception
- Filming Revolution: An Interview with Alisa Lebow
- The Absence of Contemporary Literature in Egypt’s Education System
- عن العمارة ونهاياتها
- Arab Studies Journal Announces Fall 2015 Issue
- New Texts Out Now: Jeanette S. Jouili, Pious Practice and Secular Constraints: Women in the Islamic Revival in Europe
- Syria Media Roundup (November 18)
- Deadline for Applications: M.A. in Middle East and Islamic Studies at George Mason University
- New Wars and Autonomous Self-Defense
- City Talks: Timothy Mitchell on the Materialities of Political Economy and Colonial History