From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday night of every week.]
Nouvelles révélations sur le prince saoudien qui a casqué 100000 dollars pour voir Bouteflika Farid Alilat reports on Saudi Prince Al Sultan Al Saoud Muhamad Al Kabir’s visit to President Bouteflika.
Latest detention underlines Algeria’s ongoing harassment of activists Amnesty International reports on arrest and detention of activist campaigning on behalf of the unemployed.
Le rêve inabouti: 1962, Frère parmi les frères, Dans les pas de Jean Senac The latest edition of journal Algérie Littérature features poet Jean Senac.
In search of the origins of "pop-rai": Bellemou, Bouteldja, Boutaiba...and Cheb Khaled Ted Swedenburg traces the beginnings of Algerian rai music.
Algerian Salafist party seek approval Nazim Fethi reports on the attempt by former FIS Salafists to create a political party.
Un tournant dans le combat amazigh en Libye Masin Ferkal describes the perseverence of the Imazighen in Libya despite a lack of adequate government attention.
Libya's Fractious New Politics Karim Mezran and Eric Knecht describe power dynamics in Libya’s new political landscape.
Libya's Muslim Brothers: The knack of organization The Economist reports on the growing success of the Muslim Brotherhood in Libya.
مخيم امبره للاجئين الماليين بالشرق الموريتاني Mauritanian citizens register as refugees in order to receive food assistance.
Crooked Shades, Crooked Sticks: A Critique Nasser Weddady criticizes US Ambassador to Mauritania Jo Ellen Powell’s support of General Aziz.
Mauritania thwarts Mali arms smuggling attempt Raby Ould Idoumou reports on Mauritanian security operation.
Mauritania and the Arab Spring: An Interview with Ahmed Jedou Sharnoff’s Global Views interviews Mauritanian activist and blogger Ahmed Jedou.
M20 Casablanca. Peines allégées en appel pour les 6 détenus The six prisoners arrested in conjunction with February 20th protests in the “Sidi Bernoussi” scandal, who described police rape and violence, will be freed on 22 January after an appeal.
Video calling for demonstrations 13 January Anartiste Artiviste video decrying injustice in Morocco and calling for demonstrations on 13 January.
Ô soleil tu n’éclaires plus mon cœur – Chants tourmentés des femmes d’Aït Atta Lhoussain Azergui highlights the beautiful Timnadin poems sung by the women of the Ait Atta tribes.
Casablanca Mon Amour Joobin Bekhrad reviews this film which explores the relationship between Morocco and Hollywood.
Hip Hop. Hamza Hachlaf : "L'art est une arme" Omar Radi interviews Fassi hip hop group “L’Bassline.”
Tunisian Blog Accuses Ennahdha of Running Own Intelligence Apparatus Farah Samti reports on Ennhada’s reaction to Tunisian blog Nawaat’s allegations surrounding a weapons deal.
Tunisian Army Critic Gets One Year Suspended Jail Sentence Afef Abrougui provides an account of the increased jail sentence for army critic Ayoub Massoudi.
Tunisia appeal ruling against former presidential advisor "new low" for freedom of expression Amnesty International criticizes increased sentence for Ayoub Massoudi.
Security Concerns Strain Libya-Tunisia Trade Ties Border riots prompt closings of Libya-Tunisia border, affecting trade.
Tunisie : Vers un développement durable et le plein emploi ? Mohamed Habib and Cheikh Khalifa advocate plans for sustainable development in Tunisia.
Recent Jadaliyya Articles on the Maghreb
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Any movement that wishes to resist capitalist exploitation and domination needs to understand the constant changing nature of capitalist organization and power. New forms of domination and exploitation require new techniques and strategies of resistance."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- مدن الحداثة
- Palestine Media Roundup (September 23– 30)
- The Palestine Exception to Free Speech: A Movement Under Attack in the US
- خمسة أسئلة عن التنوع البيبليوغرافي
- DARS Media Roundup (September 2015)
- LCPS Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Editor Ziad Abu-Rish on Electricity in Early Independence Lebanon
- NPR's 'Here and Now' Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Editor Rosie Bsheer About Redevelopment in Mecca
- Cities Media Roundup (September 2015)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 30)
- Exploring an Agenda for Active Citizenship: Selected Conference Presentations from STATUS/الوضع
- مهرجان واشنطن العاصمة للسينما والفنون الفلسطينية في دورته الخامسة
- New Texts Out Now: ABE Journal: Architecture Beyond Europe
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 29)
- What Do We Talk About When We Talk About Political Economy?
- The Arab Center for Architecture (ACA): Interview with George Arbid
- The Ongoing, Steady Gains of Morocco's Islamist Party
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 21-27)
- Roznama 4: A Competition for Upcoming Egyptian Artists
- Reimagining the University in a Time of Crisis – Every Campus a Refuge Campaign
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 28)