From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Wednesday night of every week.]
L'opération de l'armée se poursuit, "quelques morts et blessés" affirme le gouvernement algérien Radio France gives a chronological account of the hostage situation in Algeria.
L'armée algérienne s'attaque aux islamistes armés Video news update on Algerian army attacks on armed faction holding hostages.
Mali, Algeria discuss intervention fallout Walid Ramzi reports on Malian president’s visit to Algeria and Mali-Algeria relations
Hundreds in limbo at camp on the Tunisian-Libyan border Humanitarian news site IRIN reports on the situation of refugees stuck on the Libyan border.
Huge concert in Tripoli brings in Amazigh New Year Ayman Akelky reports on Amazigh New Year’s celebrations in Tripoli.
Breaking the hold of politics on Libyan society Osama Matri critiques the narrative of political weakness holding back development of robust Libyan civil society.
Operation Serval: The View from Mauritania Nasser Wedaddy describes Mauritanian political and societal perspectives on the conflict in Mali.
A Mauritania Outlook The Moor Next Door comments on Abdel Aziz’s government, its opposition and international perspectives.
“المشاهد” تنفرد بنشر الوثيقة السرية لـ”لحراطين” Blogger Arabliss presents documents exposing systematic oppression and enslavement of “Hratin” people.
المنسقية : نرفض مشاركة موريتانيا في الحرب وبقاء عزيز في السلطة Protesters hold large demonstrations against Mauritanian involvement in Mali
لجامعي يرد على أطروحة أن النظام المغربي ينوي الدمقرطة Academics respond to discussions of the recent Moroccan constitution and assertions of its contributions to democracy.
Finances publiques: Alerte rouge Omar Radi highlights the atrocious state of Moroccan indebtedness and its effects on the market.
Les Mia du moyen atlas Sheryn Ziani describes the plight of young women in the rural Middle Atlas region.
Morocco to boost growth through youth jobs Hassan Benmehdi reports on Moroccan Economic, Social, and Environmental Council’s focus on combatting youth unemployment as a development strategy.
Review: Byad ou k7al The Mixtape est la Yasser Rougui reviews Moroccan producer Don Bigg’s latest project (with audio clips.)
حوار مع وزير الشؤون الاجتماعية خليل الزاوية Tunisian blog Nawaat interviews Minister of Social Affairs Khalil Zaouia
Sheratongate: Blogger's allegations against Foreign Minister land her in court Reporters Without Borders follows the public prosecutor’s investigation of blogger Olfa Riahi, who accused Foreign Minister Rafik Abdessalam of abusing public funds.
Two years since the uprising, justice must be done Amnesty International implores Tunisian authorities to address demands of families of those killed and injured during uprisings.
Prime Minister, major unions sign social pact on revolution's anniversary Roua Seghaier describes the social pact signed in Tunisia, which cause controversy amongst labor syndicates.
Recent Jadaliyya Articles on the Maghreb
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"These neighborhood-based theatrical performances enabled residents to articulate their exclusion from the material resources of their city and nation, and to expose their racialized bodies that had been rendered invisible."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Studio Visit: Hany Rashed's 'Bulldozer'
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 27-August 2)
- IMEU Interview: The Iran Nuclear Agreement and the Question of Palestine
- Snapshot: Palestinian Olive Trees
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- Quick Thoughts: April Longley Alley on the Yemen Conflict
- Has Amnesty International Lost Its Way? A Forensic Analysis of Amnesty’s Reports on Operation Protective Edge (Part 2)
- Sinai: War in a Distant Province
- A Shift in Turkey's Foreign Policy? An Interview with Osman Shahin
- Cities Media Roundup (July 2015)
- New Texts Out Now: Raymond Hinnebusch, From Arab Spring to Arab Winter: Explaining the Limits of Post-Uprising Democratization
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 28)
- Turkey Media Roundup (July 28)
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 27)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 20-26)
- Daoud’s Camus Fanfiction Is More of the Same
- تدمر، واحة للظلام
- Gay Hanging in Iran: Atrocities and Impersonations
- Quick Thoughts: John Reynolds on Recent Amendments to the Israeli Penal Code
- لا بشرٌ ولاحجر... تدمر وسرديات الحرب على الآثار