From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Bassam Haddad discussed his book, Business Networks in Syria: The Political Economy of Authoritarian Resilience with C-Span's Book TV, and talked about the current conflict in that country. This interview was recorded on the campus of George Mason University on 27 September 2012 and aired recently on C-Span.
The themes addressed include:
- The gradual transformation of the Syrian economy after 1970
- State-business networks and cronyism in Syria prior to the uprising
- The existence of economic networks elsewhere, including in the United States
- Tailored economic policies that benefited the upper business echelons
- The economic background of the uprising and the distinction between rural and urban areas
- On the significance of the Syrian military in comparative perspective
- The security services as the locus of coercive power in Syria
- The dilution of the uprising by the tactics and behavior of rebel groups
- The illegitimacy of US, Turkey, and GCC countries's call for democracy in Syria
- The regional and international context of the Syrian uprising
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Saudi Arabia and the War of Legitimacy in Yemen
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani Interviewed by Al-Jazeera English on UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura
- قراءة في شوق الدرويش: رواية تنتمي لنموذج ما بعد الاستعمار
- DARS Media Roundup (April 2015)
- On May Day, We Are in Taksim and We Are Everywhere!
- موت الله والحرب على الإرهاب
- تاريخ النشاط السياسي واقتصاده السياسي في المغرب: مقابلة للوضع بين زكية سليم وسامية الرزوقي
- Photography Media Roundup (April 30)
- حوار مع إدواردو غاليانو
- Bassam Haddad on Syria at Harvard: 'A Stateless Regime or State with Many Regimes?'
- New Texts Out Now: Adi Kuntsman and Rebecca L. Stein, Digital Militarism: Israel’s Occupation in the Social Media Age
- Highlights from the 4th Downtown Contemporary Arts Festival
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 28)
- AAUP Findings on the Steven Salaita Case
- Cities Media Roundup (April 2015)
- ما زلنا نغني للثورة: مقابلة للوضع بين رامي عصام وبسام حداد
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 28)
- Experimenting and Exploring II: Student Photography from Cairo
- Egypt Media Roundup (April 27)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 20-26)