From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Bassam Haddad discussed his book, Business Networks in Syria: The Political Economy of Authoritarian Resilience with C-Span's Book TV, and talked about the current conflict in that country. This interview was recorded on the campus of George Mason University on 27 September 2012 and aired recently on C-Span.
The themes addressed include:
- The gradual transformation of the Syrian economy after 1970
- State-business networks and cronyism in Syria prior to the uprising
- The existence of economic networks elsewhere, including in the United States
- Tailored economic policies that benefited the upper business echelons
- The economic background of the uprising and the distinction between rural and urban areas
- On the significance of the Syrian military in comparative perspective
- The security services as the locus of coercive power in Syria
- The dilution of the uprising by the tactics and behavior of rebel groups
- The illegitimacy of US, Turkey, and GCC countries's call for democracy in Syria
- The regional and international context of the Syrian uprising
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“The murder of four Shiites that the artistic collective, Mosireen captured and documented in the above video is an ugly moment. It speaks volumes about two coinciding phenomena.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Lebanon: What Do You Mean There Is No State?
- Beirut Revolt: What Is to be Done?
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria
- The Good, the Bad and the Crimson Shoe
- Ekin Wan’in bedeninde ifsa olan devlet ya da kadinlar sira bizde
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 24)