From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
University of California Student Petition Against HR-35 Surpasses 1,000 Signatures UC Students for Justice in Palestine reports on the status of the student petition denouncing California State Assembly HR-35, which equates criticism of Israeli state policies with anti-Semitism, thus stifling the freedom of expression of pro-Palestinian views.
Statement in Memory of Three Kurdish Activists Killed in Paris The EU Turkey Civic Commission higlights the achievements of Kurdish activists Sakine Canziz, Fidan Dogan, and Leyla Söylemez and condemns the attack that killed them in Paris.
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Sinan Antoon Shortlisted for Arabic Booker Prize Antoon's third novel, Ya Maryam (Ave Maria), has been shortlisted for the 2013 International Prize for Arabic Fiction.
Statement by Palestinian Residents of New Village in East Jerusalem: Bab al-Shams On 11 January, 250 Palestinians state their goals for establishing the village of Bab al-Shams in East Jerusalem. Within a few days, the Israeli military forcibly evicted these activists.
US Department of Homeland Security's Media Monitoring Manual Made available through the efforts of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, this manual describes DHS's practice of using keywords to monitor the traffic of information across the internet.
Detention of Activists Continues in Oman The Gulf Centre for Human Rights reports on the recent arrest of human rights defender Saed Jadad in Muscat.
Torture, Drones, and Detention: A Conversation Between Laleh Khalili and Lisa Hajjar The following is an audio recording of a book talk between Laleh Khalili, author of Time in the Shadows: Confinement in Counterinsurgencies, and Lisa Hajjar, author of Torture: A Sociology of Violence and Human Rights.
EIPR Analysis: Overturning of Mubarak and Adli Conviction Expected Outcome of a Flawed Trial The Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights offers a legal and political analysis of Mubarak's first trial and its flaws and recommends how those blunders can be avoided in the retrial.
Personal Status Litigation for Palestinians in Israel: A Controversial Issue (Jadal Issue 16, December 2012) The most recent issue of Jadal, a quarterly journal published by Mada al-Carmel, covers the issue of how private and family life questions are handled legally for Palestinians in Israel.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"History reassures me that change is possible. We know from history that rights are never granted and reforms never made without pressure and advocacy. Therefore, action is our main hope for change; anything less will only guarantee the status quo."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Latin America’s Lesson for the US: Prosecute the Torturers
- Hassan Khan: Taraban
- Soma, Ermenek, Yirca: Can Anti-Coal Activists Defend Coal Miners and Olive Farmers?
- Historical Realities of Concept Pop: Debating Art in Egypt
- New Texts Out Now: Isabelle Werenfels, Beyond Authoritarian Upgrading: The Re-Emergence of Sufi Orders in Maghrebi Politics
- Syria Media Roundup (December 16)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (December 16)
- Turkey Media Roundup (December 16)
- Egypt Media Roundup (December 15)
- Aloha Aina: Notes From The Struggle in Hawai’i
- The Politics of "Unveiling Saudi Women": Between Postcolonial Fantasies and the Surveillance State
- The Islamic State: The Fear of Decline?
- ملف من الأرشيف: نظيرة زين الدين
- Countercurrent: Bahrain Watch: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation between Reda al-Fardan and Mona Kareem
- Mohamed Abla Painting Award
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (December 8-14)
- Open Letter to Mr. Rem Koolhaas
- 'Nefes alamiyorum': Baskaldirinin farkinda misiniz?
- The Flow and Entrapment of Syrian Jazira Music
- Censorship and Detention in Egypt, A Personal Account: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation between Alaa Abd El Fattah and Lina Attalah