From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
University of California Student Petition Against HR-35 Surpasses 1,000 Signatures UC Students for Justice in Palestine reports on the status of the student petition denouncing California State Assembly HR-35, which equates criticism of Israeli state policies with anti-Semitism, thus stifling the freedom of expression of pro-Palestinian views.
Statement in Memory of Three Kurdish Activists Killed in Paris The EU Turkey Civic Commission higlights the achievements of Kurdish activists Sakine Canziz, Fidan Dogan, and Leyla Söylemez and condemns the attack that killed them in Paris.
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Sinan Antoon Shortlisted for Arabic Booker Prize Antoon's third novel, Ya Maryam (Ave Maria), has been shortlisted for the 2013 International Prize for Arabic Fiction.
Statement by Palestinian Residents of New Village in East Jerusalem: Bab al-Shams On 11 January, 250 Palestinians state their goals for establishing the village of Bab al-Shams in East Jerusalem. Within a few days, the Israeli military forcibly evicted these activists.
US Department of Homeland Security's Media Monitoring Manual Made available through the efforts of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, this manual describes DHS's practice of using keywords to monitor the traffic of information across the internet.
Detention of Activists Continues in Oman The Gulf Centre for Human Rights reports on the recent arrest of human rights defender Saed Jadad in Muscat.
Torture, Drones, and Detention: A Conversation Between Laleh Khalili and Lisa Hajjar The following is an audio recording of a book talk between Laleh Khalili, author of Time in the Shadows: Confinement in Counterinsurgencies, and Lisa Hajjar, author of Torture: A Sociology of Violence and Human Rights.
EIPR Analysis: Overturning of Mubarak and Adli Conviction Expected Outcome of a Flawed Trial The Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights offers a legal and political analysis of Mubarak's first trial and its flaws and recommends how those blunders can be avoided in the retrial.
Personal Status Litigation for Palestinians in Israel: A Controversial Issue (Jadal Issue 16, December 2012) The most recent issue of Jadal, a quarterly journal published by Mada al-Carmel, covers the issue of how private and family life questions are handled legally for Palestinians in Israel.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“People protesting against Western-style economic policies and Western-supported authoritarianism are imagined instead to be protesting in favor of Western-style democracy. ”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
- Liberalizmin tasfiyesi ve Ortadogu'da alacakaranlik
- جدلية في عامها الرابع
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason University, 20 October 2014)
- Is the Center for Jewish Life Stifling Free Speech on Campus?
- Hassan Khan in Conversation with Mohamed Abdelkarim
- In Memory of Suphi Nejat Agirnasli
- إشكالية المجتمع المدني في المغرب
- Press Release: Saudi Death Sentence against Shia Leader Is Politically Motivated
- الانحناء على جثة عمّان
- New Texts Out Now: Reem Charif, Mohamad Hafeda, and Joumana al Jabri, Creative Refuge
- Panel Event: After Gezi, After the Elections, After ISIS: Politics in Turkey Now (CUNY Graduate Center, 20 October 2014)
- Jadaliyya Featured in the New York Times: "Online Magazine Brings New Life to Arab Studies"
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (October 14)
- رحلتي إلى الراب والسياسة والسجن
- A Politics of Hope: A Tribute to Brief Lives at a Time of Perpetual Death
- Suphi Nejat Agirnasli’nin Anisina
- Egypt’s Conservative Nationalism: Discourse and Praxis of the New Regime
- Roj Roja Rojava
- Soma ve Kobane’yi birlikte dusunmek
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah http://t.co/5j5SVfUUQ2
yesterday at 4:00 AM
Citizenfour: Laura Poitras’ Documentary on Edward Snowden (Video Trailer) http://t.co/53bm4GzGBD
yesterday at 8:13 AM
Intervention and the Limits of US Power? A Panel Featuring Vijay Prashad and Jadaliyya Co-Editor Lisa Hajjar... http://t.co/bH7PRRk064
on Saturday 18 October at 07:02 AM
جدلية في عامها الرابع http://t.co/T3TTMADl6i
on Friday 17 October at 12:49 PM
Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason... http://t.co/MV83z1Kldq
on Friday 17 October at 09:38 AM