From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
University of California Student Petition Against HR-35 Surpasses 1,000 Signatures UC Students for Justice in Palestine reports on the status of the student petition denouncing California State Assembly HR-35, which equates criticism of Israeli state policies with anti-Semitism, thus stifling the freedom of expression of pro-Palestinian views.
Statement in Memory of Three Kurdish Activists Killed in Paris The EU Turkey Civic Commission higlights the achievements of Kurdish activists Sakine Canziz, Fidan Dogan, and Leyla Söylemez and condemns the attack that killed them in Paris.
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Sinan Antoon Shortlisted for Arabic Booker Prize Antoon's third novel, Ya Maryam (Ave Maria), has been shortlisted for the 2013 International Prize for Arabic Fiction.
Statement by Palestinian Residents of New Village in East Jerusalem: Bab al-Shams On 11 January, 250 Palestinians state their goals for establishing the village of Bab al-Shams in East Jerusalem. Within a few days, the Israeli military forcibly evicted these activists.
US Department of Homeland Security's Media Monitoring Manual Made available through the efforts of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, this manual describes DHS's practice of using keywords to monitor the traffic of information across the internet.
Detention of Activists Continues in Oman The Gulf Centre for Human Rights reports on the recent arrest of human rights defender Saed Jadad in Muscat.
Torture, Drones, and Detention: A Conversation Between Laleh Khalili and Lisa Hajjar The following is an audio recording of a book talk between Laleh Khalili, author of Time in the Shadows: Confinement in Counterinsurgencies, and Lisa Hajjar, author of Torture: A Sociology of Violence and Human Rights.
EIPR Analysis: Overturning of Mubarak and Adli Conviction Expected Outcome of a Flawed Trial The Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights offers a legal and political analysis of Mubarak's first trial and its flaws and recommends how those blunders can be avoided in the retrial.
Personal Status Litigation for Palestinians in Israel: A Controversial Issue (Jadal Issue 16, December 2012) The most recent issue of Jadal, a quarterly journal published by Mada al-Carmel, covers the issue of how private and family life questions are handled legally for Palestinians in Israel.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Beyond Uncritical Optimism: The Challenges for Transitional Tunisia
- Letter to the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights under Law regarding Attack on Title VI-Supported Middle East Studies Centers
- Declaration by Scholars for Peace in Solidarity with the Saturday Mothers of Turkey
- Erdogan, Turk milliyetciligi kartina oynuyor
- Maghreb Media Roundup (October 23)
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Beyond Uncritical Optimism: The Challenges for Transitional Tunisia http://t.co/6izMU6L3Ke
11 hours ago
Declaration by Scholars for Peace in Solidarity with the Saturday Mothers of Turkey http://t.co/K1z9GIvf9J
13 hours ago
Call for Participants: 2015 PARC Faculty Development Seminar (May 14-25, 2015, Jerusalem and the West Bank) http://t.co/xDuLAAZEyx
14 hours ago
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 PARC Fellowship for US Scholars Conducting Field-Based Research on Palestine http://t.co/vfJpBGRqsR
14 hours ago
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 NEH/FPIRI PARK Fellowship for Scholars Conducting Field-Based Humanities Research in... http://t.co/QnpUau2v6I
14 hours ago