From the Editors
I send this message to the free Kuwaiti people,
To His Highness the Emir,
And to the Bedoon heroes:
My brothers and countrymen, Kuwait is screaming with injustice. How long will this last? If this injustice practiced against the Bedoon does not stop, we will all lose our country. My brothers and countrymen, stand together against injustice and the oppressors and do not let down your Bedoon brothers in their legitimate, heroic and historic fight for their freedom.
Your Highness the Emir:
My country is screaming with injustice. You have always called on us all to respect the constitution and the law, yet the injustice and oppression happening to the people of our country has nothing to do with justice, law or the constitution. The security system is playing with the country’s security and people. It is violating the law and constitution. I hope you take a serious and firm stance in correcting these transgressions. I hope you issue an order promptly to guarantee everyone's rights.
My brothers the Bedoon:
Throughout history, an oppressor has never won against free people. You have two roads from which to choose. Either the road of freedom and dignity or the road of slavery and humiliation. I have taken the road of freedom and I will not turn away from this hard road until I reach its end. Today, after all those trials and tribulations, which road you will take?
At 7p.m. on 16 January 2013, I officially announce from this freedom cell in Kuwait's Central Jail that I will go on an indefinite hunger strike in protest of the injustice and the cases fabricated unfairly against me by the security system. They are trying to destroy my life, reputation, future, and freedom. They are torturing me to force me to stop my activism for the cause of the stateless of Kuwait. I will not stop my hunger strike until:
- I am released;
- Cases fabricated against me are dropped;
- The formation of a national nonpartisan committee to investigate cases of kidnapping, arrests, torture, and fabrications against activists, including my own case.
Most probably, this will be my last message to you for the time being as I am sure there will be repercussions after this message is released to the media and the public. I know I will be put into solitary confinement, away from the light of the sun and people, to punish me for exercising my right to defend my freedom through a hunger strike.
Human rights activist and defender of the rights of Kuwait's Bedoon
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Stepping out of the vehicle, it is difficult not to reflect on the lives that were lost on this same ground, the people that were injured, and the tens of thousands of would-be Sahrawi refugees that crossed it beginning in 1975."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- On the Margins Roundup (September)
- New Texts Out Now: Abdullah Al-Arian, Answering the Call: Popular Islamic Activism in Sadat’s Egypt
- Statement: Over 250 Anthropologists Join Call for a Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Le projet de ville nouvelle Bio-Istanbul: Un urbanisme spéculatif, ségrégatif et durable
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (September 2014)
- Cities Media Roundup (September 1-30)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 30)
- A Voyage to Toledo: Twenty-Five Years After the 'Jews of the Orient and Palestinians' Meeting
- Displaced Intentions
- When Your Name is on the Blacklist
- عندما يكون اسمك على "القائمة السوداء"
- Statement by Scholar Ann Laura Stoler Endorsing BDS against Israel
- Turkey’s New Migration Policy: Control Through Bureaucratization
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 22-28)
- El Rass
- Excavating the Sky
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 29)
- Turkey after Gezi: An Interview with Simten Cosar
- Tadween Spotlight: Gaza
- Evden Emlaga Fikirtepe: Rant ve Spekulasyon Ekseninde Kentsel Donusum
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Statement by Jewish Studies Professors Regarding 'Deplorable' Amcha Initiative http://t.co/2eEW1QeGAA
20 hours ago
Jadaliyya's Top 50 of All Time http://t.co/mdnFJqWqM2
20 hours ago
Le projet de ville nouvelle Bio-Istanbul http://t.co/7TCOtNabQC
20 hours ago
Statement: Over 250 Anthropologists Join Call for a Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions http://t.co/d5GNce4597
21 hours ago
Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (September 2014) http://t.co/lVuyHprzP6
21 hours ago