From the Editors
On Sunday, 20 January, a new proposal will be made in the parliament regarding the Bedoon issue. According to MP Khaled AlShlaimi, the law will include 17 articles. The law will define a Bedoon as a person who is registered in the Central Agency for Illegal Residents and lives in Kuwait. He also stated that the law, if passed, will give IDs valid for five years to Bedoon designating their nationality as "undefined." Those IDs would be approved to be used in official places and courts in Kuwait.
AlShlaimi added that the law would grant Bedoon all documents, free education in public schools, free health care, and priority to employment over migrant workers. It proposes for the Bedoon employment treatment in payment and privileges equal to citizens. The MP did not mention any laws proposed regarding citizenship.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Al-Nour Party was providing an Islamist fig leaf for an adulatory, ultra-nationalist and oppressive military regime… the al-Nour leadership should have known that their precious amendments to Egypt’s legal identity… were doomed the moment the army warned it might intervene."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 25-31)
- On SJP’s Freedom to Organize: An Open Letter from CUNY Faculty
- New Texts (NEWTON) Compilation by Category For Fall Semester
- One Century after World War I and the Balfour Declaration: Palestine and Palestine Studies
- Italian-Palestinian Relations: What Went Wrong?
- From Containment to Counterinsurgency in the Gaza Strip
- Sharing the Nile Waters According to Needs
- After The Ceasefire: Searching for Accountability
- Cities Media Roundup (August 1-30)
- Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam al-Khawaja
- Beard Phobia
- نفس الكتاب".. جرحٌ تعجز الكتابة عن لَأْمِه"
- On the Margins Roundup (August)
- Prominent Human Rights Lawyer Ahmed Seif al-Islam Dies
- An Open Letter
- New Texts Out Now: Erin Runions, The Babylon Complex: Theopolitical Fantasies of War, Sex, and Sovereignty
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 26)
- الخطر السياسي القادم ما بعد العدوان على غزة
- ملف من الأرشيف: محمد شكري
- Syria Media Roundup (August 15)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Call for Submissions: Rhonda A. Saad Prize for Best Graduate Paper in Modern and Contemporary Arab Art http://t.co/aHY0mnUmdj
12 hours ago
Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 25-31) http://t.co/hHrD9k6F9m
16 hours ago
New Texts (NEWTON) Compilation By Category For Fall Semester http://t.co/Ij3oWHUcW4
17 hours ago
On SJP’s Freedom to Organize: An Open Letter from CUNY Faculty http://t.co/EUKyx5oFGW
17 hours ago
RT @ziadaburish: Great breakdown of stakes/logistics of #ADL recruiting student leaders via free trips to #Israel http://t.co/jzk0XUBygb @M…
yesterday at 12:23 PM