From the Editors
The Bahrain Center for Human Rights expresses its grave concern about the constant targeting and harassment of families of human rights defenders and victims of extrajudicial killings. The latest case was the summoning of Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja's son-in-law, Hussain Ahmed (twenty-two years old), to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
Hussain Ahmed, a former torture victim, received a summon for interrogation on Sunday, 13 January 2013. Hussain Ahmed went with lawyer Abdullah Zainuddein to the CID on Monday 14 January 2013. Ahmed was taken into office 99 around 12pm, and interrogated by someone referred to as "Abu Faisal." The lawyer was not allowed into the room during the interrogation.
During the interrogation, "Abu Faisal" threatened Hussain Ahmed that they are monitoring him. He reportedly told Ahmed:
This time we brought you in a respectful manner, next time you know how we can bring you in. If you go into hiding we'll find you. Instead of the six months you spent in prison, this time you will spend 6 years.
Hussain Ahmed was interrogated about his work as a graphic designer, and told that they know that he designs graphics about victims of extrajudicial killings. The fact that he is the son-in-law of Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja was brought up in during the interrogation. The interrogator also made several sectarian insults. "Abu Faisal" reportedly told Hussain Ahmed:
This time I'm being good to you, but I want you to know that when I put on my black mask they call me the beast. When I deal with you next time I will have you screaming torturer, torturer.
Hussain Ahmed was arrested on the 9 April 2011 along with Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja and Wafi Al-Majed, Al-Khawaja's other son-in-law. Ahmed was subjected to severe torture; physical, psychological and sexual. Amongst the types of torture he was subjected to:
1. Forced standing for four days; during which he was beaten on the back with a hose
2. Beaten with open metal handcuffson his back
3. Had cold water thrown on him after being kept in a extremely cold room
4. Pulled from wrists which caused one of his wrists to be dislocated
5. Head beaten against a wall repeatedly
6. A hose inserted into the anus
7. Threatened to have his mother and sisters brought in
8. Verbal abuse; especially sectarian
9. Allowed only one minute to use the bathroom, three minutes for showers; removed forcefully if he takes longer
10. Not allowed clothes, for two months wearing the same clothes
11. Told he would be forced to testify falsely against his father-in-law, Abdul-Hadi Al-Khawaja, to say that Al-Khawaja resisted arrested. Asked what he would say, if he didn't say what he was told he would get severely beaten.
Hussain Ahmed was subjected to enforced disappearance for more than two months after his arrest, and subjected to an unfair trial on the charges of: disseminating false information, inciting hatred against the regime and illegal gathering. He was sentenced to six months imprisonment.
Abdul-hadi Al-Khawaja's family have been the targets of constant harassmentfor many years. Among the cases of harassment and targeting was the arrest of his two sons-in-law for being merely related to the family, and subjecting them to severe torture. Al-Khawaja's daughter, Zainab Al-Khawaja has been arrested numerous times, beaten, and shot in the leg. Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja's wife, Khadija Al-Mousawi, was sacked from her ten year job, and his daughter Batool continues to be denied employment in the public health sector in Bahrain.
The Bahrain Center for Human Rights calls on the United States, the United Kingdom, the UN and all other allies and international relations to put pressure on authorities in Bahrain to:
-End all forms of targeting and prosecution of relatives of political and human rights activists in Bahrain, and those affected be compensated for harassment.
-Respect ensured for human rights and fundamental freedoms and the right to privacy in all circumstances in conformity with international standards of human rights and international instruments ratified by Bahrain.
-Hold accountable all those involved in human rights violations, especially high ranking officials.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Brecht wrote once, "In the future, they will not say the times were dark. They will ask: Why were their poets silent?" Some poets were silent this spring, but many others weren't.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Petition: Nobel Peace Laureates and Celebrities Call for Military Embargo on Israel http://t.co/4c5ZHR1X0e
yesterday at 5:05 PM
Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes http://t.co/M9Eb51FoZf
yesterday at 9:44 AM
Egypt Media Roundup (July 21) http://t.co/ZQPmjHhX4f
yesterday at 8:19 AM
عمر الجفال: بغايا بغداد التعيسات http://t.co/npfzeBV7JZ
yesterday at 7:33 AM
More Gazans now fleeing Israeli attacks than during Cast Lead http://t.co/XIyOkaq1uP
yesterday at 6:40 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel
- مقطع من رواية سِفر الاختفاء
- Egypt's Response To The Israeli Assault On Gaza: An Interview With Hossam El-Hamalawy
- كم نكبة عاشها فلسطينيو سيناء؟ الجزء الثاني
- Did Israel Spark Violence to Prevent "Peace Offensive"?: Democracy Now! Interview with Mouin Rabbani and Norman Finkelstein
- الاقتصاد الأخلاقي للاستعمار الاستيطاني: إسرائيل و"الصدمة النفسية للإخلاء"
- New Texts Out Now: Sheila Carapico, Political Aid and Arab Activism: Democracy Promotion, Justice, and Representation
- FAQ on Failed Effort to Arrange Ceasefire Between Israel and Hamas