From the Editors
[The following statement was issued by the Progressive Lawyers Association of Turkey on 18 January 2013.]
Police terrorism against defense lawyers continues. Lawyers are being taken under custody and searches are carried out in their offices and houses as well as two offices of Progressive Lawyers’ Association.
The offices of the Progressive Lawyers’ Association (ÇHD), Istanbul and Ankara Branches, The People’s Law Office (An independent law office defending the basic rights of the suppressed), and a great number of lawyers’ houses were raided by the police early this morning, doors broken down. Searches and detentions have been carried on since 4:00 AM in the raided dwellings and offices of lawyers: ÇHD President Selçuk Kozağaçlı, ÇHD Headquarters Member Oya Aslan, ÇHD Istanbul Branch President Taylan Tanay, and executives Güçlü Sevimli, Güray Dağ, Gülvin Aydın, former ÇHD branch presidents Serhan Arıkanoğlu and Efkan Bolaç, and ÇHD members Ebru Timtik, Barkın Timtik, Naciye Demir, Günay Dağ, and Şükriye Erden.
Police terrorism against defense continues. Using all of the instruments under its authority, the government incessantly attacks individuals and institutions struggling for democracy and freedom and opposing the system. An overall suppression of the society is at stake with anti-democratic legal regulations whose practice violates even their own limits, the objective being the annihilation of all social opposition. These practices, which respect neither codes nor the law itself, literally consist of the application of a “enemy criminal law.”
Recently in Ankara, a member of Progressive Lawyers Association Headquarters Administrative Board was threatened by a police officer saying “You [ÇHD] will also get what you deserve, we will give it to you soon!” during a police search at one of the news agencies. Besides, in Istanbul, a bug for surveillance was found at The Law Office of the People, revealing that the Istanbul Police Department Anti-Terror Unit had organized a conspiracy against The People’s Law Office for illegal and immoral purposes. On the other hand, Istanbul Police Department Anti-Terror Unit, as part of their conspiratorial activities against some of our colleagues including members of our Association and Administrative Board, took testimonies against lawyers from those who had benefited from the provisions of the “Effective Repentance Law” and made them identify our colleagues by their photographs that were filed in the police records afterwards. Both the bug planted in The People’s Law Office and the testimonies taken against our colleagues that work at this law office have been revealed and made known to public. It is of great importance to underline that all these attacks, which are directed to the members of our Association and Administrative Board, are, in fact, targeted directly at Progressive Lawyers Association itself, for we have undertaken the defense of all of the actors of the social opposition against the government during the past years.
We, Progressive Lawyers Association, openly declare that oppression and attacks, whatever they may be, will never prevent us from defending the “social opposition” in courts. Our members and colleagues who have been defending the opponents of the government are not alone. This is not the first time we encounter oppressive governmental policies. Our Association has already witnessed the policies of the military government of the coup d’état in 1980, of former prime minister Tansu Çiller and former police chief and minister of interior and justice Mehmet Ağar in 1990s, and finally of the AKP government in 2000s. However strong and widespread the oppression against our profession may be, we are and we will be the lawyers of the oppressed, of the revolutionaries, and of the Kurds in this country. The social opposition has never been deprived of its lawyers, it will never be in the future.
We will continue to exercise our profession the way we believe in and defend the "defense."
Stop the terrorism of special trial procedures!
WE WILL NOT SURRENDER TO OPPRESSION!
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
"The events made me feel an urgent need to proceed with this film. One of the young students who worked with me turned into a fighter overnight; his sectarianism motivated his march into battle. The previous question presented itself once again: how can a university student transform into a “monster”?"click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked http://t.co/25osP0AzAk
yesterday at 10:05 PM
Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video) http://t.co/WsmfqJcSKm
yesterday at 2:02 PM
No Ceasefire without Justice for Gaza http://t.co/ivVPmrYo29
yesterday at 12:08 PM
[now, even the BBC!] When BBC Calls, Don't Answer: http://t.co/XGcT0Sv5l6 via @rfalk13
yesterday at 11:25 AM
Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children? http://t.co/tSr67a2qPx
yesterday at 9:39 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children?
- Press Release: From Tel Aviv to Toronto, Los Angeles to London, Chicago to San Francisco, Jews Say No to Israeli Genocide
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal