The Lebanese Center for Policy Studies is recruiting a Senior Economist
Job Title: Senior Economist at the Lebanese Center for Policy Studies
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Job Purpose: Research and management of projects
We aim to produce independent, high-quality research relevant to policymaking and to promote active reform through advocacy and raising public awareness.
What We Do
Based in Beirut, we at LCPS have established ourselves as a respectable voice that contributes to the national and regional debates on issues pertaining to transparency and accountable governance. Established in 1989, LCPS operates as an independently managed, politically neutral, non-profit, and non-governmental think tank with extensive experience in research, advocacy, and training.
Over the years, we have initiated many advocacy initiatives for judicial reforms, transparent budget process, decentralization and local governance, and the enhancement of the role of business associations in policy making.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct policy relevant research;
- Provide intellectual leadership and oversight of projects and activities related to empirical analysis. This involves application of quantitative and econometric methods to empirically investigate various issues. The work should lead to the formulation of policy recommendations, based on sound economic theory and empirical analysis;
- Oversee the development of the data foundation for such work in order to address policy relevant questions, through for instance the use of a variety of existing micro-data sets, as well as the collection of primary data, e.g. through surveys;
- Draft analytical documents and policy papers;
- Coordinate and manage projects and project staff;
- Develop concept notes and proposals to apply to grants;
- Set up and maintain relevant networks of government officials and other national and international stakeholders.
- A PhD in economics and at least two years of relevant work experience. A minimum of five years of relevant work experience with a Masters degree may be accepted in lieu of a PhD.
- Strong analytical thinking and excellent writing skills.
- Demonstrated affinity with the mission and objectives of the Lebanese Center for Policy Studies.
- Demonstrated experience and affinity with initiating and carrying out international academic/policy research.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up, leading and coordinating interdisciplinary and international projects and/or research.
- Demonstrated managerial and interpersonal skills, including a track record of successful project management.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining contacts with stakeholders and building relationships.
- A problem solving attitude and approach.
- Knowledge of and experience with Middle Eastern affairs highly desirable.
- Proficiency in oral and written English is required; fluency in Arabic is highly desirable.
- Excellent communications skills and intercultural sensitivity.
- Must be Lebanese resident.
How to Apply:
Please send a completed application consisting of a cover letter (maximum one page), a CV, a writing sample (three to five pages, in English), and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please make sure to mention “Senior Economist” in the subject of your email. Unfortunately, due to a high number of applicants, we are only able to contact candidates whose applications are progressed further.
Deadline for Application: 15 October 2013