The Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs
American University of Beirut
Post-Doctoral Fellowships in Public Policy and International Affairs in the Arab World
Applicaton Deadline: 31 October 2013
IFI announces the availability of two post-doctoral fellowships in public policy and international affairs at the American University of Beirut (AUB) for the Spring and Summer semesters of 2014 (January-August inclusive). The fellowship is an 8 month assignment starting January 2014. IFI is specifically interested in applicants who conduct research related to the institute’s core programs, which are the following:
- Research, Advocacy, and Public Policy-making in the Arab World
- The UN in the Arab World
- Climate Change and the Environment in the Arab World
- Policy and Governance in the Palestinian Refugee Camps
- Youth in the Arab World
- The Changing Geo-Political Landscape and International Relations in the Arab World
Applicants must have received their PhD within the past three years and at the latest by September 2013. The fellowship is open to scholars of all social science and inter-disciplinary degrees whose primary research area related to public policy and international affairs in the Middle East.
Responsibilities and Compensation
In addition to research, the successful candidate is expected to give several lectures, including one public event, and participate in the intellectual life of the Institute, which may entail organizing a conference, roundtable discussion or workshop and contributing to the institute`s publications. Compensation includes one economy class round-trip airfare to Beirut, a $3,300 monthly stipend for 8 months, a workspace, and access to all university libraries and their services.
The Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs (IFI) at the American University of Beirut (AUB) is an independent research-based, policy-oriented institute that aims to harness, develop, and initiate policy-relevant research that can promote better policy-making in the Arab world and abroad. It is committed to increasing and deepening knowledge production in, and about, the Arab region; and to creating a space for the interdisciplinary exchange of ideas among researchers, civil society actors and policy makers. (http://www.aub.edu.lb/ifi/Pages/index.aspx )
Interested candidates should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter (2-page maximum) detailing academic training, teaching experience, research experience, and the research project the candidate would undertake during the fellowship.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) detailing the candidate’s degrees, language capabilities, academic and other positions, publications, conference presentations, and any other relevant activities or affiliations.
- Sample of written work, preferably published article/chapter or dissertation chapter.
- Two recommendation letters submitted under separate cover.
These materials should be emailed to Rayan El-Amine at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31, 2013