The Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP) seeks a full-time Executive Director/Editor to lead development of the quarterly magazine Middle East Report and its online presence. Building on MERIP’s nearly 50-year history as the leading independent, progressive print source for critically informed analyses of the Middle East, the new Executive Director/Editor will spearhead the upgrading of the publication, including its web presence, to meet the challenges of the contemporary era. They will do so in concert with a collective organizational vision recently developed by the Board of Directors in conversation with the larger MERIP collective.
Organizational Description: MERIP is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 1971 to provide in-depth critical reporting on the Middle East and North Africa. MERIP publishes the quarterly magazine Middle East Report in addition to online-only analyses. MERIP also engages in media outreach and public education. More details can be found at http://merip.org/about.
Position Description: The Executive Director/Editor (ED) holds primary administrative responsibility for MERIP and editing responsibility for Middle East Report and online publications. The ED reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for overseeing the fulfilment of MERIP’s mission and the strategic development of the organization.
Program Administration Responsibilities:
- Work with the Board to develop a long-range strategy to fulfill MERIP’s publishing and outreach mission and make timely progress towards these goals.
- Provide leadership in working with the Board of Directors and staff to develop fundraising goals, identify foundational grants, and cultivate long-term supporters.
- Work with staff and the Board to set an annual budget and maintain operations within its guidelines.
- Work with the Board to collaborate with partner organizations.
- Identify new readerships and institutional subscribers.
- Promote MERIP’s work to a larger public and work to maintain MERIP’s voice in ongoing debates around Middle East politics and policy.
- Oversee MERIP’s web and social media presence, and work with staff and the Board to coordinate those efforts.
- Hire and manage accounting, administrative, and editorial staff as needed and fiscally possible. Facilitate a collaborative work environment.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of Middle East politics, society, and culture.
- Work with the Editorial Committee (EdComm) and Issue Development Teams (IDTs) to develop issues of the quarterly magazine.
- Work with the EdComm and IDTs to swiftly review materials received.
- Fact check essays and ensure ethical and professional publication standards.
- Coordinate with the IDT to write quarterly editorials.
- Oversee the copyediting, proofreading, and dissemination of publications.
- Work with the photography editor and graphic artist/layout expert to ensure a visually engaging magazine and online presence.
- Oversee the promotion of publications through social media, and coordinate the production and editing of ancillary video or audio media to supplement the issues.
- Answer all editorial questions as they arise from authors, readers, or publishers.
- Familiarity with and commitment to MERIP, its publications, and its goals.
- Master’s degree in Middle East studies or equivalent.
- Book or magazine editing experience preferred.
- Work experience in the non-profit sector, preferably in a management role.
- Experience overseeing staff in some leadership capacity.
- Experience or strong interest in fundraising/development.
- Basic background in social media and web development.
- Commitment to social and cultural diversity.
- Willingness to initially work from home and work with others at a distance.
Compensation: Remuneration commensurable with experience. Full health and retirement benefits.
Application Instructions: Please send cover letter, resume/CV, writing sample, and names and contacts of three references by email to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on January 29 and continue until the position is filled.