Vacancy: Director of Research
Palestine Economic Research Institute-MAS is seeking to employ a Senior Economist to supervise, as well as to undertake, policy-oriented research on the Palestinian economy, as Director of Research.
The Director of Research exercises both management and research functions, reporting to the Director General of the Institute. Activities within the Director of Research’s overall responsibilities include: conducting and supervising research projects, economic monitoring, mentoring interns and junior research staff, and organizing colloquia on ongoing research, workshops on research outcomes, roundtable meetings with stakeholders on topical issues, lectures, symposia, and conferences.
The Director of Research will lead and oversee the research program, supervise assigned research staff, and work closely with the Director General and the External Relations Officer to help achieve the Institute’s fundraising goals. Successful candidates should be able to assume a leadership role in conducting and managing day-to-day operations for multiple research programs and projects with a keen eye on quality.
Duties and Responsibilities
In close coordination with the Director-General, the Director of Research will:
- Help the Director General in preparing the Institute’s annual research plan and identify the needs of research programs.
- Supervise research and scientific activities of the Institute
- Lead high-quality and policy-oriented economic research relevant to the Palestinian economic and socio-economic conditions.
- Supervise researchers, set their research tasks and individual employee goals, and provide regular evaluation of progress toward these goals.
- Coordinate the work and assignments on specific research projects in cooperation with the lead researcher to ensure smooth flow of the project deliverables and the team’s adherence to deadlines and schedule for delivery of research outcomes.
- Organize presentations of research, including at Roundtables, workshops, conferences and public meetings.
- Identify and promote professional growth opportunities for staff.
- Ensure adherence to professional standards and ethics of research.
- Work in close cooperation with Research Department and other concerned administrative staff.
- Represent MAS at public events and perform other related duties as assigned.
- PhD degree in Economics, with at least 8 years of professional and institutional experience in policy-based research and scholarly publication (pre-and post-doctorate).
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, including expertise in macroeconomics, econometrics and modeling and the political economy of development.
- Expert knowledge of economic and socio-economic conditions and policy making processes and institutional environment in Palestine.
- Ability to lead and to communicate effectively and constructively with researchers and other staff at various levels.
- Excellent Arabic and English writing skills and advanced computer skills.
- Ability to think strategically, delegate responsibility, build consensus, and communicate effectively.
- Planning and organizing
- Client Orientation
- Empowering Others
- Managing Performance
Terms, Salary, and Benefits
- MAS offers one-year renewable contracts and can consider a longer-term contract for the Director of Research position after the first year.
- The salary is based on the unified scale of Palestinian universities with adjustments for differences in vacations and the sabbatical leave for senior academic ranks. A special administrative allowance may be available. Benefits include health insurance for staff (100%) and dependents (50%). Further details on contract terms, salary, academic equivalence and accommodation are available upon request.
- Candidates must be able to reside legally in Palestine.
- The appointment is made by decision of the Board of Trustees upon a recommendation from the Director General.
Location: MAS premises, Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Starting Date: As soon as possible.
- Interested candidates should send their CV and a cover letter elaborating on their interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at +9722-2987055 no later than 31st January 2021.
- Only CVs that fully meet the above Qualifications will be considered eligible.
- A shortlist of eligible applicants will be invited for an online interview to assess the above qualifications, values, and competencies.
Click here for more information about the Institute.
Click here for more information about this position.
MAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer