As Academics for Peace from Turkey, we organized the “Stop the State of Israel!” petition campaign on November 7, 2023.  In the two months following our call, the massacres of the Israeli state in Gaza continue to elevate. We observe with utmost concern that the atrocious crimes of the Israeli security apparatus are supported by the overwhelming majority of the Israeli public and that this support is mostly shared with public opinion at large. At the same time, we know that there are parts of Israeli society that openly vocalize their disagreement about these massacres. However, it is clear that this opposition cannot / will not be able to prevent the current deaths. A similar international pressure mechanism must be operated against the state of Israel, just as it was done against the apartheid regime in South Africa.
It is with historical irony that the Republic of South Africa has filed an application with the International Court of Justice (ICJ) on December 29, 2023, stating that the State of Israel has committed the crime of genocide and that immediate preventive measures should be taken. The 84-page document that constitutes the application gives a detailed breakdown of the war crimes, ethnic cleansing and genocidal acts committed.
On the other hand, it should be unacceptable for global academic community that Israel bombed Gaza's higher education institutions, along with many other public structures such as schools, hospitals, mosques, churches, palaces of justice, municipal councils, transportation and other infrastructure as well as civilian settlements. Many academics were also targeted and murdered. Furthermore, it can clearly be inferred that people who form the backbone of the society, such as doctors, journalists, writers, and poets who are trained by higher education institutions, are particularly targeted and subjected to torture, detention, abduction, and murder. It should come as unthinkable for universities to turn their backs on their own graduates. While all this is happening, the silence of Western academia in particular is unacceptable.
On the other hand, genocide, also known as the crime of crimes, is the most despicable and devastating act that targets all shared values of humanity. Thus, as it is stated by many researchers, experts and historians working in the field, it is not a choice but an obligation to take into account and investigate the war crimes, ethnic cleansing and genocide allegedly committed by the State of Israel. It is our duty to remind all relevant actors of the moral and legal burden of cooperating with a state that commits genocide without waiting for the final decision of the ICJ.
For this reason, we, as Academics for Peace from Turkey, continue to strive until Israel completely withdraws from Gaza and the West Bank and until the obstacles preventing the establishment of the State of Palestine are completely removed.
Thus, we call upon the global academic community,
- to end all cooperation with Israeli higher education institutions and Israeli academics who support the ongoing ethnic genocide, war policy, and economy, and contribute to the isolation of Israel in higher education,
- to support South Africa's application to the International Court of Justice through professional organizations, solidarity networks and civil society channels in their countries,
- to put pressure on the relevant state authorities to become parties to the relevant application,
- to support any initiative to take into account and investigate allegations of war crimes, ethnic cleansing and genocide committed by Israel.
Thereupon we appeal to the State of the Republic of Turkey,
- to support South Africa's application and become a party to the relevant application to the International Court of Justice,
- to examine commercial activities with Israel and immediately stop those that directly assist Israel in committing the crime of genocide (this should be done considering the genocide allegations and taking into account the moral and legal sanctions that may arise in the future),
- to cut military, commercial and diplomatic relations with Israel.
 For related info on the campaign: https://barisicinakademisyenler.net/node/2282
 For the related press release: https://www.icj-cij.org/sites/default/files/case-related/192/192-20231229-pre-01-00-en.pdf
 For the original application document: https://www.icj-cij.org/sites/default/files/case-related/192/192-20231229-pre-01-00-en.pdf